"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Friday, March 18, 2011

DeMolay International Anniversary


While the organization founded in 1919 by Frank S. Land that has become DeMolay International was officially formed on March 24th of that year, longstanding tradition holds that it is more appropriately celebrated on March 18th, the date of the death of Jacques de Molay in Paris in 1314.

Heck, even the French can't agree on the exact date of de Molay's burning—plaques at the site say both March 11th and March 18th.

I am proud to be an Honorary DeMolay Legionnaire, and happily celebrate the 92nd traditional anniversary of the founding of the Order of DeMolay in Kansas City, Missouri. DeMolay is open to young men between the ages of 12 and 21, with more than 1,000 chapters all around the world. Read the history of this tremendous group here.

I don't come from a Masonic family, and I never had the opportunity to join DeMolay as a young man. I wish that I had, and wholeheartedly recommend it to young men who seek a group in which to make new friendships, learn leadership and trust, and most of all, to fulfill a quest for the code of chivalry that has inspired the very best of men for centuries. That is no idle boast.

BTW, the Jacques DeMolay Bobblehead above was created by the lads of Pennsylvania DeMolay. Note the sneaky Pope lurking in the shaows to the left.

1 comment:

  1. I was elected Master Councilor of the chapter in Alhambra California in 1950 after a lengthy history starting as an alternate preceptor and following my older brother up the ranks. Though I didn't realize it at the time, it instilled in me a sense of responsibility that I would not have otherwise known at that age. I think it even more valuable for today's kids who are given so much and asked to do so little. William Rice - riggins2@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.