"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Friday, March 11, 2011

Eye Carumba


I've called three medical facilities today, and all three were playing the same unspeakably execrable Kareoke-esque rendition of Stevie Wonder's "Livin' For The City" on their phone system. This is a disquieting conspiracy, and I want to know why.

Postings have been thin this past week, and those of you who follow my Facebook page know why. I am of the belief that there's nothing duller than reading about somebody's health problems, and I've had a smorgasbord of them since the end of 2007. So, as in the past, I'll be brief, and then I won't belabor the subject. But many, many people have written and asked about it, so here's the straight dope. For those who have heard all of this, please forgive the redundancy.

I have lost most of the eyesight in my right eye. The event was sudden last Thursday night, and has been identified as anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. Essentially, the optic nerve gets starved for oxygen and swells up, and the veins that feed blood to the nerve shut down. The result is a sudden and permanent vision loss, with no warning signs and no treatment to repair the damage.

The bulk of the causes of this disease in people under 70 or 80 are diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, and sleep apnea. I kicked all of that stuff to the curb over the last year by losing weight and changing lifestyle. In my case, the cause is a little more sinister. I seem to have suddenly developed a serious case of anemia that currently has no discernible source. We're still looking—boys don't have periods, there's no sign of leukemia or lupus, and I'm not the right type for sickle cell anemia, so my blood seems to be leaking somewhere. Perhaps I'm going Zombie. It seems to be the latest fad, and I try to be cutting edge. All the kids are doing it these days.

There's no possible way to fix the vision that is lost.

I don't actually have to wear the eyepatch, but I thought it looked vaguely rakish and sporty, sort of like a cherubic Hathaway Shirt ad man, without the tusk, the sansabelt slacks up to my armpits, and the tie tucked in the waist.

I have received wonderful support from family, and even more touching, from friends and especially Brother Masons, literally from around the world. My special thanks to the brethren in a prayer circle who have been in contect with me all week. I cannot adequately thank everyone for their kind words of strength and encouragement. It is one more reason that I tell people that Freemasonry has been the most important turning point in my lifetime.

It's not the end of the world. I still have sight in part of the right eye, and so far, it hasn't spread to the left. But the chance of total blindness is as high as 10%—not terrible odds, but high enough to be nervous about it. The bad news is that, even if we stop the anemia today and shrink the swelling of the nerve, the damage I have is what I will have for life. The hope is that we can prevent further loss. The good news is I only have to sit through 50% of rotten 3D movies. And Alice and the poodle will have to go on my road trips right now, alternately screaming "Look out!" and barking at oncoming cars.

Some have suggested that I should be doing video updates about all of this, a la Charlie Sheen. I envision power-squeezing eyedrops, mainlining iron pills, Major League Baseball-themed eyepatches, swilling tiger blood colonoscopy prep, waving a machete on top of the RV while shrieking "SQUINTING!"

Riding the tsunami on a mercury surfboard.

In Templar chainmaille.

With a seeing eye poodle.

12 comments:

  1. Brother Chris, First let me say that I am certainly remembering you in my devotions to Deity as you address these health issues. Second, in looking at the photo you posted, the patch appears to be on your left eye and not your right. Is the photo flipped? Anyway, I just thought that was interesting, and I often notice silly details like this. Thanks for all you do to further awareness of the fraternity!

    Sincerely and fraternally yours,
    Jamie Jamison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you the best with your health, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one would surrender to the Dread Pirate Hodapp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part two of my blood transfusion odyssey today. Just one more first-time experience I've had this week I could have been perfectly thrilled never to have had. BTW: that stuff in the movies where John Garfield hooks himself up to Ida Lupino for 10 or 15 minutes, squeezes his fist a couple of times, and everybody's up and arguing with Edward G. Robinson by the next fade in? Utter crap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Chris,

    I am sorry to hear about your current health issues. I will be praying for a speedy recovery to full health for you. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Chris.

    Fraternally,

    Kevin Christians

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brother Chris - all of us in New York are hoping for a recovery for you. If vision is totally lost in the one eye , we hope it ends there. You really have gone to extremes in your attempt to replace Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury in the Avengers movie...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brother Chris,
    I'm obviously late in keeping up with your blog, which I generally follow with more consistency. I love my mother on December 31 and I've been in a fog of grief that had scrambled many of the routines that I follow, you blog being one of the regular pit stops. This news has truly floored me, and I want to send both my condolences on your health issue and my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and healthy recovery. Since you seem to be taking everything in stride, a quick anecdote; A friend of mine who lost sight in one eye as a child and wears an eye patch on occasion to rest his porcelain one, was shopping with his wife, and remarked to her that his trouble sleeping was to the point that he was going to look around the store to see if they have any sleeping masks. His wife, one who is rarely caught off guard, suggested that he keep his money in his pocket and instead put his eye patch on his real eye at night instead. LOL! Needless to say he didn't speak to her for a few days afterward.

    Best wishes to your and yours, and call an old fat man sometime if you ever get bored.

    Fraternally, Darrell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a correction on my post; "I lost my mother on December 31......"

    You hang in there and keep the faith!!

    Fraternally,
    Darrell G. Waddell

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a correction on my post; "I lost my mother on December 31......"

    You hang in there, Brother Chris, and keep the faith!!

    Fraternally,
    Darrell G. Waddell

    ReplyDelete

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.