"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Friday, June 24, 2011

"Just one more thing, sir..."

"I'm paranoid. Like every time I see a dead body, I think it's a murder...
But that's me.
I'd like to see everyone die of old age."
—Lt. Columbo

Peter Falk passed away last night, at the age of 83, after having suffered from Alzheimer's for several years. He was an incredible actor, and created dozens of character roles throughout his career. He's the Grandpa you always wanted in The Princess Bride. And he was the perfect sidekick to Jack Lemmon's Professor Fate in The Great Race. But in 1968, he shuffled onto TV screens in a rumpled raincoat as Lt. Columbo, the part for which he will always be best remembered.

Neither Falk nor his most famous character were Masons. But in one episode, 1973's Requiem For A Falling Star, a Masonic ring helped him crack a murder case (from the Grand Lodge of British Columbia and Yukon website):

"I notice he was a big man in the Shriners too. Now that’s something I know about. That’s a double eagle ring, Scottish Rite, 32 degrees. Had an uncle, he played bagpipes in the Shriners band. Couldn't play a note, but nobody could tell the difference."


R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.