"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Illuminati Documents?

Looking for some help - or an idea for a graduate student in search of a project.

Does anyone know - have the published documents exposing Weishaupt and Knigge's Illuminati in Austria ever been translated into English? The Bavarian government exposed their writings when the order was busted in 1787 under the title Einige Originalschriften des Illuminaten Ordens. But I can't seem to find an English version - sort of remarkable, given all of the caterwaul over the Illuminati ever since Robison's and the Abbé Barruel's wild-eyed claims, and the subsequent hysteria that has found new vigour on the Intertubes.

1 comment:

  1. Chris, I don't have any information to add, but since you brought up the "I" word, I've got a question that you might either know the answer to, or might be interested in researching...

    I was wondering if there's any documented association between Weishaupt's Illuminati and the eye+pyramid/great seal icon that predates Shea & Wilson's "Illumantus!" trilogy? I know Shea & Wilson threw all the conspiracies they could find into their novel, as an over-arching uber-conspiracy; and I know Steve Jackson Games perpetuated and reinforced the connection of that logo with their Illuminati and INWO games. But I don't think I've seen any pre-1975 documents that explicitly link the eye in the pyramid with Weishaupt & Co. Just wondering if that's an example pop-culture misinformation that has become assumed as fact? Or if they really used it too?

    ReplyDelete

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.