"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hodapps Attempt To Mitigate Gaul

Now that the new book is out, Alice and I will be swanning around France this week. Back on April 2nd so Alice doesn't miss her massive dental surgery the next morning.

My apologies to Tippecanoe Lodge in Lafayette, where I was supposed to speak April 3rd. - dentists move in their own time frame. I'll reschedule with you guys, I promise.

Shout out to friend, brother and Sir Knight Robert Coleman, one of the organizers of Levent Preceptory in Indianapolis, and our unit's armorer. There has apparently been a sale on massive thyroid blobs this year. Unlike mine, his was wrapped around his windpipe and had to be taken care of ASAP. He went through surgery yesterday, which gives me a coming attractions preview of mine next month. He reports 70 staples across his neck (great - we'll both look like a couple of EAs who couldn't keep from squealing), a three week recovery, and three months of discomfort. But the good news was his vocal cords weren't nicked. I'm hoping for the same kind of success.

Get well soon, Robert!

The bad news was they shaved his rather epic mustache and beard.

That's very bad news for this goiter boy. I haven't seen the skin on my chin for more than 25 years, and my upper lip for 30.

Here's your French tidbit of the day. If you first learned much of what you know of the world as I did, from Warner Brothers cartoons, you've undoubtedly heard the catchy tune that showed up anytime anything or anyone French made an entrance. Pepe le Pew usually was humming it as he strode into view. Well, it's a song from 1938 show, Gold Diggers In Paris, called "The Latin Quarter," sung by Rudy Vallee. Zow-ie!

So this is gay Paree ! Come on along with me
We're stepping out to see - the Latin Quarter
Put on your old beret - let's sing the Marseillaise
And put our wine away like water

We'll call on Medelon - she may be dead and gone,
But we can call upon - her darling daughter.
A lady named Diane - will do the French Can-Can,
If she don't use a fan, she ought'er

We'll watch an artist paint - He'll take a gal who ain't
And paint her as a saint - for just a quarter
She poses just for art - She does it from the heart
She does it à la carte - He taught'er

That gal from Armentières - Who's been around for years
Will show you souvenirs - the soldiers brought'er
Her postal cards they say - Were quite a bit risqué
They're not so hot today - they caught 'er.

Come on and
(Oo-la-la-la-la-la-la-la, Oo-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
(Par --------- lez -------
(Oo-la-la-la-la-la-la-la, Oo-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
(Fran --------- çais -------
(Oo-la-la-la-la-la-la-la, Oo-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
(Their --------- way -------
Oo-la-la-la. Comme si and comme c'a)
Cum si and cum s'ah)
That's all the Frenchmen sing - that's how they have their fling
That's how the Frenchmen swing - The Latin Quarter
They're fifty million strong - And they can't all be wrong
Let's all - oo-la-la-la - oo-la-la-la
Oo-la-la-la - Oo-la-la-la.

3 comments:

  1. Look. Just as long as Alice refrains from singing in French, everything is fine.

    With regard to facial hair, I haven't seen my upper lip in 35 years. "So there!"

    Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How appropriate quoting Pepe Le Pew, considering Mel Blanc was a Mason.

    I didn't realise you linked to my blog, Chris (I don't read a lot of blogs), so I've now reciprocated.

    http://justamason.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris!

    I hope you and Alice are well. A suggestion from a brother who has experienced too much "down" time due to various surgeries, get your hair cut too (fairly short and thinned out.) You are going to be down for a while and with what they are doing, you probably won't be able to give it a good wash for a while.

    I wish I had been forewarned.

    Take care and I look forward to hearing from you soon!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.