"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Friday, November 26, 2010

Actor Michael Brea Interviewed About Killing His Mother

Actor Michael Brea is under psychological observation in the prison ward of New York's Bellevue Hospital after killing his mother with what has been described in the press as a Masonic sword Tuesday morning. Reporter Matthew Lysiak from the New York Daily News was able to interview him today.

From Michael Brea, bit-part 'Ugly Betty' actor, says, 'I didn't kill her. I killed the demon insider her':

"I was sleeping in my bedroom. God came above my bed and reached his arm to me," said Brea, wearing a light-blue prison jumpsuit and slippers. He told his tale while sitting unhandcuffed on a blue chair behind a wood table.

"I said, 'God, is my time on earth over?' I heard a voice say, 'Yes Michael, today is your last day.' I asked if I could say goodbye to my family."

The 31-year-old Brea said he told no one about the dream, but the following afternoon, he said he received another sign while at the Prince Hall Masonic Temple in Harlem, which he'd joined a week earlier.

There, he said, a man approached and tried to put a curse on him.

"[He] kept trying to put something in my hand but wouldn't show it to me. I kept opening my hand. It was a Freemason pin. I wouldn't touch it," Brea said.

Felt like Neo from 'The Matrix'

He began feeling ill and left, and while riding the train back to Brooklyn, he said, strangers began speaking to him about his mother.

"I felt like Neo from 'The Matrix.' I began hearing voices and feeling powerful," Brea said. "They were asking about the difference between mom and mother. It was a sign."

When he returned to the family's Prospect Heights apartment, the bit-part actor who once appeared on "Ugly Betty," hugged his mother, a God-fearing Haitian immigrant with whom relatives say he had long been very close.

"I knew I would never see my mother again," he said. "I gave her lots of love."

He went to his room and lit candles, placed a dagger and a 3-foot ceremonial Freemason sword by his side.

Investigators said he had stolen the sword from the Masonic lodge, but Brea insisted his father had given it to him when he was a child.

"It's a powerful sword," he said.

Brea also arranged three saint cards around him - including one of Saint Jude holding a sword.


His mother was cooking three chickens in a pot in the kitchen, and Brea was convinced they were a black magic sacrifice. With that, he attacked her with the sword. After describing in detail hacking his mother to death as she screamed for mercy, Brea said he heard cops beating on the door, but knew God would protect him until he had finished his grisly work.

When they finally broke the door down, cops found a trail of bloody footprints and handprints on the walls and floors, and Yannick Brea crumpled on her knees in the bathroom.

Her son stood amid the carnage with the sword in one hand and a Masonic Bible in the other.

"I heard voices telling me how powerful I was, saying 'Oh he's good,'" Brea said.

While recounting the gruesome murder, Brea showed no remorse, and his eyes stayed locked on a reporter.

His intensity only broke for a moment when he said he was thirsty and his mouth was dry. Guards gave him a wet towelette to dab at his lips.

Brea said he is convinced he did the right thing.

"Grand Architect of the Universe means God," he said, referring to an expression neighbors said he shouted as he was being removed from the bloody scene. "I was praising God. To you it might sound silly, but in my culture demons are very real."



Photos in the New York Post showed the murder weapon to be a sword with a wavy "flambard" blade, and not a specifically "Masonic" sword (nor is it a samurai sword, as was reported in early versions of the story). Reports are that he had been initiated in St. John's Lodge No. 29, PHA in Harlem last week, and that he had recently suffered major financial disasters.

Not that any of that matters in the grand scheme of things. A woman is dead at the hands of her own son, who gives every outward appearance of a man who has lost his sanity.

4 comments:

  1. Although many in the general public, those who don't know better, will use this as an example of why Freemasonry is evil, it sounds as though this man was very unstable prior to his joining. Sadly, too many people will read the blurbs and not the entire article, so they will miss this bit of information.

    Chris Decker
    Emporia Lodge #12

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition to the sentiments expressed in the previous comment, it shows the importance of knowing men before initiating them into the Craft. Not knowing someone and admitting him into Freemasonry can lead to unstable people being initiated. This is such a sad story, and with proper medical care all this might have been avoided.

    May his mother rest in peace.

    W.Bro. Chris Hansen, WM
    Goliath Lodge 5595 UGLE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris H., I've seen uncountable news stories over the years of parents, children or friends dying at the hands of someone and the family members are baffled. They see no signs. Surely if they don't "know" them, sponsors into a fraternity won't know them any better.

    It isn't like someone is going to apply to your Lodge and a member will stand up and say "I think he's going to be a serial killer or rapist some day."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justa, you are correct that no matter how many precautions one takes, it's still possible to initiate someone who is not suitable for Freemasonry. However, if someone exhibits behaviour or demeanour that is unsuitable for Freemasonry, and is not approved for joining, that is a good thing in general.

    There is someone I know who is an upstanding person in many ways. However, he's unsuitable to be a Freemason (not that he's petitioned) because of his behaviour and attitudes. If he were to petition I would gently urge him to withdraw.

    From the news reports this gentleman exhibited disturbing behaviour for a while before he killed his mother.

    Just sayin'

    W.Bro. Chris Hansen, WM
    Goliath Lodge 5595, UGLE

    ReplyDelete

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.