"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Friday, September 03, 2010

Thank You

This is scarcely newsworthy, and undoubtedly crosses the line into self-congratulation, and perhaps mawkish aggrandizement, but on August 30, 2010, I discovered to my astonishment that I had been elected to receive the 33rd and Last Degree by the Illustrious brethren of the Supreme Council of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction. The ceremony will take place next August in Chicago, and I will stand beside several other Indiana brethren, including Linville Coner, Don Dean, Jon Elrod, Richard Hess Jr., Kent Hizer, Tim Hopewell, Doug Green, Brian McNaughton, Jerry Minto, Jim Ross, Eric Seidensticker, Terry Webb, and Charles Wood, Jr.

I was overwhelmed by the bewildering number of phone calls, emails, Facebook messages, and even snail mail letters that began pouring in, from literally all over the world. That’s when I felt it incumbent upon me to publicly express my thanks to everyone for their kind messages. It was not an honor I ever dreamed of receiving, and I am profoundly grateful to those who nominated me and voted in my favor.

I continue to believe the assembled brethren of the Supreme Council voting in Philadelphia earlier this week took leave of their good senses.

As much as anything, I’m in awe of the company I’ll be keeping. I had a brief flashback of the movie Witness for the Prosecution. When his client is being arrested, Charles Laughten gets to deliver this great line in that trademark Captain Bligh voice: “There’s no shame in being arrested. Historically, you’re in excellent company. Kings, prime ministers, archbishops, even barristers have stood in the dock.” I suppose so. But it does give a person justifiable pause to see the roster of the other men who’ve been awarded the 33°, and to contemplate, as with so much else in this fraternity, the scary notion of standing on the shoulders of its true giants.

My good friend Mark Tabbert recently described me as “an amateur scholar,” and boy, did he hit it on the head—although it does bring to mind a dapper and rich 19th century, pith-helmeted British gentleman, with pick and microscope in one hand and a pipe in the other, as he seeks to prove that Darwin was right and his vicar wrong. But in truth I’ve always loved the fraternity from ground level, especially in my own home lodge. In the last improbable and exciting dozen years, give or take a few months, my copious free time has been spent doing what I love most of all: studying the history, ritual, customs and ephemera of Freemasonry, while traveling the countryside and the world, meeting brothers wherever I have the good fortune to go. It has never paled. It never will.

And so, to all of you who have taught me the meaning of brotherhood in a thousand different ways, you have my deepest gratitude and respect for all you have seen fit to give to me. It is a debt I cannot ever hope to repay.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations Brother for the 33rd degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Chris,

    I think it was inevitable for you to receive this honor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely a great honor. My instructor through the Blue Lodge degrees was a 33* and I always felt obliged to perform that much better to ensure his faith in me was warranted. I aspire to reach the same someday.

    Mike R. Union #7
    Dover, DE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, the only people who deserve it more already have the white cap. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Well-deserved.

    W.Bro. Chris Hansen, WM, Goliath Lodge #5595, UGLE

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest, we were getting tired of your smarmy comments about the "inner circle" that runs everything in Masonry. Ok wise guy - you're going to be in the "inner circle"! What are you going to complain about now? :-)

    Brent

    P.S. Sincere congratulations for a very well deserved recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Brother Chris!

    Well Done! (ABOUT TIME TOO!)

    Bro. John S. Nagy
    Tampa Bay Lodge No. 252, Florida
    Florida Lodge of Research No. 999, Florida
    BuildingHiram.Blogspot.com
    Building Hiram / Building Boaz / Building Athens - Uncommon Catechism for Uncommon Masonic Education - Volumes 1/2/3

    ReplyDelete

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.