"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Memento Mori Mementos


Brother Justin Lovorn has a passion for skulls. Not just a Halloweeny, fair-weather, furtive nod, either. Justin has been posting a memento mori memento almost every single day since 2007 at the appropriately titled "Skull-A-Day" blog. His fan base contributes a wild range of images, and has found vanitas imagery in everything from snow drifts to canned beets.

Justin doesn't just post other people's images. He is an artist himself, and has started to venture into Masonic art. His site at www.tatmanglass.tripod.com features the item above, as well as (what else?) skull-themed etched glassware.

Cheers from my Lord Byron goblet.


"Start not - nor deem my spirit fled
In me behold the only skull,
From which unlike a living head,
Whatever flows is never dull.

"I lived, I loved, I quaffed like thee
I died ; let earth my bones resign
Fill up - thou canst not injure me ;
The worm has fouler lips than thine.

"Better to hold the sparkling grape,
Than nurse the earth - worm's slimy brood
And circle in the goblet's shape
The drink of Gods, than reptile's food.

"Where once my wit, perchance, hath shone,
In aid of others let me shine ;
And when, alas ! our brains are gone,
What nobler substitute than wine ? " - (Byron, 1808.)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the post, Brother. I have to give credit where it's due. I am not the only editor of the Skull-A-Day blog, and it was started by the very talented Noah Scalin.

    If there are any brothers out there who would like to order glasses, mirrors, picture frames, or almost anythiung glass then feel free to contact me. I will try to etch almost anything. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.