"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Thursday, October 12, 2006

"That'll help with membership!"

The Empty Labyrinth has an brilliant piece from Monday. She wrote it about membership truisms and the Order of the Eastern Star, but they work equally well with Freemasonry. Unfortunately.

So many times in the past ten years, we have maybe rushed a little too quickly to make changes in the fraternity because we say that's what young men want. That they don't have time to join or learn the old fashioned ways, or that proficiency requirements are too difficult for modern men. We've made these assumptions without asking them. They are coming looking for the very traditions that we sometimes want to wipe out, because we think that's what they want.

1 comment:

  1. I am one of those young men. I joined my lodge in 2001 at age 32, and I'm dismayed to see what's happening in Washington. The traditions I sought out are slowly being eroded in the name of increasing membership and it is so frustrating.

    The author of "The Empty Labyrinth" sent me over; I'll be adding your blog to my feeds.

    I'm glad to know there are other Brothers out there who think at least some like I do.

    ReplyDelete

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.